SUBMISSIONS CLOSE MARCH 29, 2014
The Art-A-Fair Foundation will award two scholarships to high school juniors or seniors who will be following their dreams of further arts education and careers in the arts.
The scholarships will consist of shared booth space at the 2014 Art-A-Fair Festival in Laguna Beach, a juried art show with over 125 artists. This is a great opportunity for student artists to not only earn money toward their future art goals but learn how to make art that sells, speak to customers, and gain confidence in their work.
Previous scholarship winners have gone on to many different areas of art. Some are studying fashion design in Los Angeles, one is a Broadway set designer, and another was offered full scholarship to Harvard for medicine due in part to submission of his artist portfolio.
The Art-A-Fair Foundation scholarships provide everything the students need for a successful show:
- Full cost of the booth at the 2014 Art-A-Fair Festival
- For two dimensional artists: up to $800 in framing, printing, and art cards to sell at the show
- For three dimensional artists: cost of materials for creating their artwork to sell at the show
- Students receive full value of their artwork sold during the show. Past scholarship winners have averaged $2,500 in art sales at the Art-A-Fair Festival.
- Coaching on selling artwork, working with customers, and additional mentoring by many of Southern California’s finest artists.
ARTISTS JARED SISLIN AND AMANDA CRISS RECEIVING THEIR 2013 SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
FROM PRESIDENT RON MCWHORTER
The two-phase application process begins with a preliminary jury review of digital files submitted to the Art-A-Fair Foundation via email to email@example.com.
Applicants who pass the initial screening will be invited to bring their artwork to be juried in person by the Art-A-Fair Foundation board members. After that review, the winners will be contacted via email or phone and will be given instructions on how to prepare for the show opening.
Scholarship winners will be announced no later than April 6, 2014
The 2014 Art-A-Fair Festival runs from Preview Night Wednesday, June 27 through Sunday, August 31, 2014. The show is open from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and until 10:00 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
All applicants must:
- Be juniors or seniors in the current school year: 2014
- Be residents of and students in southern California
- Be actively planning further art education and a career in the arts
- Be prepared to produce additional work during the Festival season
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a recent teacher or community leader
- Be available to work at their booth a least one day each weekend during the show
- Have reliable transportation to and from the show’s Laguna Beach location
The successful applicants must agree to meet the following requirements:
- Deliver at least five works (dry and ready for scanning) to Framing Artistry, 24002 Via Fabricante, Suite 203, Mission Viejo, CA by May 3, 2014
- Provide their artist’s biography by May 3, 2014
- Attend two or more coaching sessions prior to the opening of the Art-A-Fair Festival
- Assist the Art-A-Fair Foundation staff in preparing their booth in mid-late June, 2014
- Spend at least eight hours per week in their booth at the Art-A-Fair Festival demonstrating their work and speaking with customers.
- Abide by all the rules and regulations of the Art-A-Fair Festival
- Assist Art-A-Fair Foundation staff with removal of art and tear down of the booth on September 1, 2014